martedì, agosto 30, 2005

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

really busy days. Tania just moved to a new town for her job and I'm going to move back to Urbino tomorrow for the upcoming semester. the worst part (or the best one) is that I've rent a new (bigger) house that tomorrow I'm going to move there a huge amount of stuff. By the way... Few weeks ago I saw a nice movie that summarise what's personal memory in our society The movie (not really new) is "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" (the horrible Italian translation is "Se mi lasci ti cancello"). If you think about how we are digitalising our personal history you gonna face the idea that in digital memories you can delete something leaving no trace of that action, what you've deleted is just disappeared as it wasn't never been there. Digital reality has no memory (if we call memory the relationship that occurs between past and present as it is in modern western society), but has only an eternal present.

2 Comments:

At 8/31/2005 10:40:00 AM, Blogger QueenMab said...

Great, Luca. The movie is one of my favourites...and I agree about the orrible italian translation too! It would have been much better (but maybe not so commercial) the italian translation of Alexander Pope's verse "l'infinito splendore di una mente candida", or something like this.
You said much better than me what I was trying to say in my post about how easy it is to delete digital memory.

 
At 9/02/2005 03:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonimo said...

u gotta take into account that every system that allows to store information can be formatted. Biological system can be formatted as well and infomation loss is always possible. let's consider my granmother! she doesn't remember a fuck and she is not a digital system. Anyway I still love her even if she barely remembers what my name is!

 

Posta un commento

<< Home